Tuesday, January 3, 2012

Agua, Agua por Doquier

Canon EOS 60D, ISO 1600, 40mm, f/4, 1/60
For some reason I cannot get these photos to become thumbnails that enlarge when you click on them when I am posting.  Anyone have a clue as to what I may be doing wrong?  Been trying to figure that out before I posted my pics but to no avail.  Let me know if you have the secret, please.
Do you know how hard it is to write with puddles of water?  Seriously, try it.  You gotta have just the right water temp and surface tension.  It was an interesting experiment.



Canon EOS 60D, ISO 100, 100mm, f/32, 1/3

I was shooting pics of ducks at a pond near the river by my house when I noticed every once in a while a little splash would arc up into the sunlight where this water comes into the pond.  It took me only 2,136 tries to get the shutter speed and timing right to catch it. 



CCanon EOS 60D, ISO 100, 100mm, f/32, 1/3
Canon EOS 60D, ISO 2500, 100mm, f/5, 1/6400



I shot a bunch of pics of this fountain in downtown Boise.  I used lots of different shutter speeds to see what the effects were.  In the end I think a fast shutter speed works best for fountains because it shows the action and a slow shutter speed works better for streams and brooks.  What do you think?

Canon EOS 60D, ISO 100, 73mm, f/5.6, 1/100

Finally, water in its most basic form...the perpetual motion of nature's hydrologic cycle.  As for the colors - Maxfield Parrish, I totally GET you!

5 comments:

  1. Well now it worked...go figure.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey Craig, funny thing is that I was able to view your post b4 you posted and I too was unable to click thumbnails to enlarge at the time – all good now (weird...).

    The water calligraphy is well done, nice result especially the first two characters which have merged, either you had a large area to (re)try or a strong hairdryer (heatgun?) to erase and start again :)

    The inverted parabola ‘spurt’ is also interesting as is the surrounding water where you managed to get a mix between ‘smooth/blended/slow motion’ effect plus the faster ‘frozen in mid air drops’ all in the one photo. I recall one time when I stood motionless for some 40+min and several hundred shots later just to catch surf waves crashing into each other until they resulted in a peak splash rising above a 100 meter cliff face – was worth the effort even though other tourists would walk up, take a look and wonder why is he stuck there? then walk on... until the last moments when a couple realised what was unfolding and they quickly nudged each other to take out there camera – too late by then. Patience is a virtue and this can be very true when waiting for that special capture... probably why my shutter count took no time to hit 16+K...

    I agree slower speeds for streams and brooks (we call them creeks coz they are too small and often dry I guess) as they tend to appear more soothing and tranquil that way especially if it is a tranquil looking location. I think both fast and slow can be used for fountain depending on whether you want to convey action or something more tranquil and peaceful. Given the crop/zoom, I agree with the faster speed with your shot – was that snow also (brrrr...).

    The last shot is also interesting in that I tend to find ‘that time of day’ is often best for capturing clouds as the sun sets and the colors are plentiful, the dark landscape adds mystery as well – nice.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hey you.
    Nice pics of water...you definately went all out. You are way more patient than I. I would have given up on the 2,130th try.
    I think you should post a pic of the fountain with a slower shutter speed, so we can see the comparison...would be interesting.
    And I am with you. Love the colors in the cloud photo...beautiful nite you captured. Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  4. OK, I posted the other fountain picture as well...see which you like better.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Wow, it's amazing how the different shutter speeds capture the water so differently. Thanks for posting the two. The contrast of lit up clouds to the dark mountains looks beautiful.

    ReplyDelete