Sunday, January 8, 2012

Graduated Neutral Density Filters

Stats unknown

I promised to post a couple of pics that show the effect of a graduated neutral density filter.  I believe I incorrectly called it a "gradiated" neutral density filter in my comments to Stef's post.  The purpose of this piece of glass is balance out the metering between really bright things and much darker things.  This first pic was taken years ago with my first digital SLR (Canon Digital Rebel XT).  I had no clue about such filters back then so this photo was metered on the land and you can see how the sky and clouds are washed out.



Canon 350D, ISO 100, 17mm, f/7.1, 1/100, graduated neutral density filter (ND 0.6), circular polarizing fiter

This second photo was taken this past spring and I used my graduated neutral density filter, holding it in front of the lens with the transition point roughly on the horizon (same camera).  You can see how it balances out the metering of the whole photo and makes things much more crisp.  My filter is a Cavison 6X6 ND 0.6 and it's a spendy piece of glass but as you can see, it does some pretty cool things.

When Tony (1000 Words) was here in the US last spring, we went looking for one for him but the local camera shops don't carry them.  If anyone is inclined to check these out, here's a link to the one I have at BHPOTO:

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/629388-REG/Cavision_FTG565GD06_5_65_x_5_65_Graduated.html


2 comments:

  1. WOW! I just recently bought my very first Photography magazine...and I think the magazine I bought expects me to already know what they are talking about and sometimes forget to include the VISUALS and differences. Your picture is very helpful in seeing the difference along WITH the explanation.

    Talk about a good investment! Every part of the photo is very clear and "in focus" the challenging part. I'm curious to know, did you use a tripod for these two photos?

    ReplyDelete
  2. I don't think I even OWNED a tripod back when I took the first picture. The second one was definitely taken on a tripod. That was my first really good investment - a high quality Manfrotto tripod with a joystick head on it and remote shutter release. The graduated filter was the second.

    I have to give credit where credit is due. There are two things that have really helped me get better at photography:

    1. A set of three soft back books by Scott Kelby titled "The Digital Photography Book". That is where I learned about how to get tack sharp focus (still a challenge for me sometimes) and also where I learned about graduated neutral density filters.

    2. I ran into Paula again after 40 years (we were buddies in high school) and saw what a wonderful artistic talent she had on her Northern Exposure website. That gave me a voracious appetite for knowledge. Over the past couple of years she has been coaching me along and has really helped me "up my game". (Don't tell her I said any of this.)

    ReplyDelete