Sunday, December 11, 2011

B&W Assignment



Well, this one was interesting. The assignment was B&W conversions...finding the right blend that gives you the depth in an image vs a flat presentation. Not having a high-end software package to work with, I had to get into my owner's manual and see what I could do with just the camera. In the end that was a great learning experience for me that will serve me well in my photography journey. Things that I had available to me on the camera that made a difference:

White balance
Metering mode
Auto exposure bracketing
Filter effects
Toning effects

Just like magic, they DID make a difference! Good assignment, Paula. It forced me to learn.
I could have spent all day fooling around with the different combinations of these settings but it was cold out and I was missing the Army-Navy football game. Navy won, BTW...tenth year in a row.

3 comments:

  1. I love how the background has so much contrast and even more so thanks to the reflections in the windows! Nice job...and whoever doesn't love signs?!

    Paula, great assignment. ;)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey Craig...Thanks for posting all the info here. Interesting treatment of signage!
    Which of the 2 black and whites do you like best? The one on the right or left? Both have the contrast.
    BTW..gooooooo Navy!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Personally, I like the one on the bottom right best. If I remember right the settings were:

    white balance = cloudy (temp 6000)
    filtering effect = red
    toning effect = purple
    metering = evaluative

    Not sure why I like that one best, it just appeals to me.

    ReplyDelete