Tuesday, December 6, 2011

Black and White conversions

It has been fun to see what you all are grateful for, which is as diverse as our group!

When I took a photography class (film) and ended up being "The Darkroom Lady" for 3 semesters,
the importance of contrast in creating a good B&W print was really driven home.

So many of our images are either "shot" or "developed"  with a result being an image that is termed "Flat".
That is when the whole image itself is many shades of gray, but without BLACK blacks, and WHITE whites.
My instructor, Jim Frey, was rabid about two things. A tack sharp image, and a b&w image having contrast. Content was secondary.

When we do post production on our images, whether it is in the darkroom, or in Lightroom or Photoshop, we need to be mindful of how we are creating those B&W images. With so many options available, and with each creating a different feel, not all "recipies" you use will work on all images. Some you may want to have a lot of contrast, or very high key...up to you to use whatever you want in order to create the image that pleases you. BUT. Remember, when you step back from the processing ask your self, "are my blacks black? and my whites white?"  If not, go back and tweak until the answer is yes!
Most people take a color image and then just remove the color, or desaturate it. This usually results in a flat image. If you then take that same B&W image, and use "levels" on it in photoshop, or increase/decrease "brightness/contrast" in lightroom, you will be much closer to getting those blacks and whites.
I am not sure what programs are used on a Mac, but I am sure there is some software that allows you control over a  "channel mixer" that is good for creating great B&W images.

I used a pic of granddaughter Emily to show some examples of what styles can be achieved for a b&w conversion. Check out the first, which is a straight desaturation...resulting in a flat image. The others have varying degrees of contrast and brightness added to the mix, and I was hoping that you could really tell a difference when you see them side by side. They are all a matter of preference, but only 2 have black blacks and white whites.
So. I thought we might try shooting any subject that interests you and doing a B&W conversion on it... what do you think?

3 comments:

  1. It's obvious to me that I'd better do everything I can with my camera since I am WAY behind in the magic of software department. All good stuff to know if I ever get a decent software package to work with. Of course by then I will have forgotten all of this and you will have to tell me all over again. The good news is that you will have forgotten this post as well so it will be like we both started from the beginning.

    I like the new assignment, good idea.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I will second what our dear Craig says. I think this is a good assignment.

    ReplyDelete